Log in

No account? Create an account

Does anyone really want to read this?

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Sister's boyfriend update
You know, I'm getting really sick of doing these.

Anyhow, the bleeding on the brain stopped, and his road rash isn't as bad as they thought.  He's able to sit up and eat a little.  The big problem is his shoulders.  He broke both shoulder blades.  Also, he tore the ball of the right shoulder that goes into the socket, and broke his right arm, as well.  This is especially bad, since his right shoulder is all screwed up from a previous motorcycle accident.  He' s scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, and he'll have to be in the hospital for 2-3 weeks.

How the accident happened is still hazy.  My sister saw a piece of a police report.  He was apparently riding on a Queens highway Thursday night, around 6:30.  He might have been clipped by a car, a witness saw a car speeding away.  Still, no one is definitely sure what happened, and nobody has any idea where his bike is, either.

So, it's going to be a long recovery for him, and I don't know what this will do to their finances.  He can go on sick leave, or get disability, perhaps.  I know his boss went to see him today.  I hope something can be worked out, because if it can't, it will end up with my sister crying to my father for money, which is the last thing we need.  Besides, she makes over 80 grand a year- how can she not live on that?

On a me note, I had an eye exam yesterday.  My doctor is very nice and funny, but also a big fat liar.  He put the dilating drops in at 12:30, and told me it would take 3 to 4 hours for my eyes to go back to normal.  It didn't take 3 to 4 hours, it took more like 13 hours.  I looked like a bug eyed alien.  On the other hand, there is absolutely no noticeable difference in my eyesight, thank God.  (Eyes are a big worry for long term diabetics).  I actually did better reading the chart this time than I did last time (3 and a half years ago.  I kind of waited a little too long between exams.  I wouldn't have gone in this week if I hadn't snapped my glasses in half while I was cleaning them!)  I picked out some new frames, my glasses should be ready in a week.  Since my eyesight is pretty much the same, the prescription shouldn't really change, either.  That's a relief, because the last time I got new glasses, it took me a long time to adjust.  Everything was very tilted for a long while.

  • 1
My day is pretty quiet, actually. I left my job and moved back home last fall, when my mother got sick. She died in February, and I still haven't gone back to work yet. I wasn't that crazy about my job to begin with, so right now I'm mostly home during the day.

well my consolences on your mother's passing. gosh i am so used to saying that. i worked with aarp health insurance up until the end of september so i was constantly doing death terms. anyway theres nothing wrong with staying home

Thank you for your condolences. My mother had a truly horrible illness and death, and needed full time care. There was no way my father could do it on his own, he has his own health problems, mostly arthritis related, so it was better for all of us if I was there.

Being home isn't my first choice, but that's the way it is right now. Once we move and get resettled I'd like to get a new job. The one good thing about my last job was how close it was to home.

thats the wonderful thing about my new job. its closer to home. i will keep my fingers crossed for you then. so how was your day

My day was pretty ordinary. Thursday is grocery shopping day. Very exciting. Then at 5PM my father and I started cooking dinner. A little earlier than we usually start, but we were working with raw chicken, so we needed more time.

Cooking dinner together is actually pretty nice. We had to start last summer when my mother got sick. She had usually done all of the cooking, at least dinnerwise. My father's forte was always breakfast, he was a cook in the army and that was his main meal. At first we had some serious trouble trying to make a decent meal, but we seem to have found a good rhythm. Tonight's lemon pepper chicken, baked potato and broccoli turned out rather well.

sounds really yummy. i'm glad you guys have a good routine and rhythm now

We do, finally. And after three terrible tries, we finally mastered meatballs, which I'm especially proud of.

awesome, hey what did you think of tonight's supernatural

I enjoyed it. Dean and his mini-me were just adorable. I went into more detail in my latest post at my LJ, if you want to check it out.

heh i will check it out. yeah i know i think tha tis so his kid for real for real lol

  • 1