My dad's dermatologist called today and told him the sore on his forehead was something called squamous cell carcinoma. He'll meet with her on December 5th to discuss the treatment, which apparently involves lasering it off. I looked it up online, and it doesn't seem to be too serious. It's easily removed, and doesn't spread. Thank God for that.

Cannot catch a break, seriously

My dad had his second cataract surgery yesterday. Everything went perfectly, for both eyes. The eye doctor is really impressed. So, of course, today Dad goes to the dermatologist and finds out that this sore on his forehead is most likely basal cell carcinoma. They took some scrapings today, and he'll go back in two weeks for the results. If it's cancerous, and the doctor thinks it probably is, they'll have to laser it off. They go deep, and then put stitches in to seal the wound.

My poor dad. He's handling this well. His oldest brother had this happen to him a couple of times, and so has their brother-in-law. Everyone's fine. I had a pre-cancerous mole on my back removed several years ago. They literally burned it off- to my horror, it smelled like barbecue.

My own health is doing somewhat better. My A1C, which determines blood sugar over a period of time has dropped from 7.2 to 6.1 That is amazing, unheard of, at least for me. My doctor had started me on this new injectible called Bydureon, which your take once a week. I took it about 5 times, and felt like absolutely nothing was happening. All it did was leave itchy lumps under my skin. After I stopped taking it, I started having random bouts of nausea, which is the primary side-effect, but which didn't happen when I was actually taking the medicine. Anyhow, my doctor left it up to me if I wanted to start taking it again. I probably will.

A month without posting

I just realized that it's been a month since I last posted. Time flies, doesn't it?

Not much has been happening. My dad had cataract surgery on his left eye. The fancy laser kind, which isn't covered by his insurance. He gets about 8 drops a day, and starting Tuesday, he gets drops in both eyes, preparing for the right eye surgery on the 16th. Then it's more drops- all of which I have to give him. Everytime he says "nurse, nurse" I want to punch him. Oh well, I just have to get through November.

Other than that, everything is pretty much the same. In less than a month (December 3rd), my niece Skylar turns two. I can't believe it, wasn't she just born?

As for the election- well, thank God that's almost over. The thought of Trump as president is repulsive, and I might have to move to Canada if he wins. Please God, let me remain an American.

Hurricane Matthew update

Thank you to everyone who showed such concern for me. We were very lucky, here in Southern Palm Beach County. We had some wind and rain, but that was it. We never lost power; we never even lost the satellite TV. No damage at all in my neighborhood, there isn't even a single puddle lingering in my community. We really dodged a bullet here.

Hurricane Matthew

So, Hurricane Matthew is bearing down on the east coast of Florida, where I just so happen to live. I have to admit, I'm terrified. In 8 years we've never really had to deal with a hurricane, so I suppose we're due, but that doesn't make it any easier.

And my birthday week begins!

44 on Thursday, I can't believe it. Getting old!

I've started my celebration today, with a trip to the eye doctor! Yay! My right eye is still pretty dilated, though my left eye is inching closer to normal. Fortunately, no real changes in my vision, and the back of my eyes are healthy.

Tomorrow- it's mammogram day! Yep, nothing says celebration like getting your boobs squished!

So clearly, this is the best birthday week ever.

How my trip to NY turned into a huge problem, by me

Be warned, this is long and might involve curse words.

Actually, the trip itself was fine. Well, for the first two days. On day three, I pulled my back out. We were supposed to go to some farm/petting zoo. I was in the kitchen, took a step, and my back started spasming. I couldn't take a single step without pain. So everyone went without me, while I stayed in bed with Bengay and a heating pad. So much for day 3.

I felt better on day four, which was my last day. New York was still brutally hot, so we mostly stayed in the house. My flight home, which was scheduled for 8:12PM was a pushed to 9:30 or so. Fine, I got to the airport at 8 (traffic), and after a long wait in security, I made my way to the gate. The wrong gate. When I checked in someone should have told me the gate was switched. No one did. So I'm waiting and waiting at the wrong gate until I hear, finally, the final call for my flight. At a gate at the other end of the huge terminal. I start running, which for someone of my size is a nightmare in and of itself. Of course, I'm too late. The plane had just left. So I talk to someone at a desk and I'm rescheduled to a flight at 9 the next morning. I call my sister, she comes back to get me.

The only thing is, my sister has to go back to work on Wednesday. Before that she has to drop the baby at daycare. So she can't take me. My cousin would have, but he had foot surgery the day before and he can't drive. Since I'm staying with my sister who is now living at her friend's house, I thought maybe the friend or her 18 year old son would offer. They're both home all day. But no one says anything, and instead they find me a cab. Which will cost me $73 to get to the airport. No choice, I book the car for 6:30. (let me say, I understand they are under no obligation to take me to the airport. I'm my sister's guest, technically, not theirs. That being said, I would never let someone staying in my home spend $70 bucks on a cab ride if I was there to take them. No matter the time or circumstance. I've picked up my sister, or her friends, at 2 in the morning.)

So, I wake up at 5:45 the next morning, still in my shorts, shirt, underwear and bra from yesterday. ( As my suitcase made the flight, things like my hairbrush, toothbrush and deodorant are already at the Palm Beach airport. Thank God, I kept my insulin and syringes in my carry on to bring on the plane.) I pick up my phone and find an e-mail from JetBlue saying my flight has been cancelled. I immediately call the airline and found out they've rebooked me on a 1PM flight to Boston, where I will transfer to a plane to Palm Beach and land somewhere around 9PM. No way. I want to to go home. So they can put me on a plane to Fort Lauderdale, leaving at 11AM. I have to pay an extra 40 bucks to get an aisle seat, literally the last one left. (it was an extra legroom seat next to an exit door). I said fine, just get me on that plane. They do.

Anyhow, I changed the cab time to 8AM (not taking any chances), it picked me up and had me there by 8:20. I was terrified to check in using a kiosk (had a brutal time with one last year when I went to Texas), but it turned out to be really easy. Took 30 seconds. And the extra legroom seer gave me expedited security check, which was also smooth and easy. I had time to sit and have breakfast and relax before I went to the correct gate. I had to wait over an hour, but it was fine. The plane itself was different than I was used to. Much bigger than usual, with 32 rows of seats (I was in 22), more bathrooms, and the Directv was a touch screen. It seemed very modern. But the flight was nice, as were my seat mates, and I arrived in Fort Lauderdale on time.

My dad left work early and picked me up,a round 2:30. We went home, I changed my underwear and borrowed his deodorant, ate a quick lunch, and then we went to the Palm Beach Airport to pick up my suitcase. This was surprisingly easy. All we had to do was park, go into the arrival area and hit the baggage office. My suitcase was right there, and all I had to do was show my ID to claim it. We picked it up and went home, and I slept for a solid 7 hours last night, which I never do.

So I'm home, safe and alive, with all my stuff. And I'm never traveling again!